Kali Linux is one of the most powerful and advanced OS (Operating System) for penetration testers and hackers for it’s pre-installed all the top penetration testing tools. It’s one of the best operating system for hackers.
Many people asked about which operating system is best for penetration testing and hacking activities like hacking wireless network passwords, reverse engineering tools, network sniffers, application hacking tools and other encrypting and spoofing hacking tools. So, I just writing this article to show you why most of the pentesters rely on the Kali Linux. How it’s one of the best operating system for hackers.
Kali Linux: Best Operating System for Hackers
Every hacker/researcher have their own choices but as a penetration tester, I have my own choice. Kali Linux is one of the best for me. Kali Linux and Windows 10 are the best because they are easier to use but because of their vast functionality, features and flexibility. But there’s some others you can give a try like Matriux Operating System, BackTrack, and knoppix. Matriux OS is just awesome.
Kali Linux is based on Debian Linux version, designed and developed by Offensive Security, specially powered with most of the powerful hacking tools for the penetration testing and hacking related activities. Kali Linux is designed to keep the beginners in mind, so it comes bundled with all the most common and powerful hacking tools.
When Kali Linux Was Released?
On 13th March, 2013, Kali Linux was released for the first time and within just few months, it became the most popular operating system for hackers and penetration testers. Kali Linux was born by it’s predecessor BackTrack, to make it specifically for the penetration testing and forensic activities.
Kali Linux Peneration Testing Tools
Kali Linux bundled with all the tools for different security forensics and penetration testing, which involves network and exploiting, network discovery, networks reconnaissance, web servers scanning, reverse engineering, scanning applications for vulnerabilities and IP address scanning as will. It comes up with all the best security tools for penetration testing, forensics and hacking tools like some of these below.
- Metasploit Framework (Complete framework for Information gathering, analyzing web servers and applications security vulnerabilities and helps in penetration testing and IDS signature development.)
- Nmap (Network Exploration Tool, Security Scanner & Port Scanner )
- Aircrack-ng (All in One Wireless password cracking tool)
- OWASP ZAP (An open source in depth web application security scanner)
- Sqlmap (Sqlmap is a penetration testing tool used by the most of hackers to penetrate into websites using SQL loopholes. It detects and exploits SQL injection flaws automatically)
- Wireshark (An open source packet sniffer and analyzer)
- Reaver (WPS Wireless Brute Force cracking tool)
- John the Ripper (A full pack of Password cracking)
- Hydra (Brute Force Password cracking tool)
- SET (The Social Engineer Toolkit)
- Hashcat (It’s the world’s fastest most powerful and advanced password recovery tool)
- Armitage (Metasploit Framework’s GUI front end designed with JAVA)
- Burp Suite (Web Application Security GUI scanner)
- Ettercap (MitM (Man in the Middle) attacks Suite)
- Cisco Global Exploiter (Cisco Networking equipment for fast testing and Exploiting Vulnerabilities)
- BeEf Framework (Also known as Browser Exploitation Framework, for web browser vulnerabilities)
- SSLStrip (SSL Strip Tool for attacking the SSL enabled applications)
- Kismet (Wireless Networks detector, sniffer, and intrusion detection system)
- Foremost (Foremost is used recover deleted or lost files based on their headers, internal data structures and footers)
- Maltego (An open source forensics and intelligence tool)
- And hundreds of more…
Related: Best Hacking Tools of 2020
How to Install Kali Linux? – Kali Linux Installation
Check out all the ways how to install and run Kali Linux.
Kali Linux Installation using Live USB
There’s several ways to install and run Kali Linux on your system. It can be booted from DVD or you can use USB drive for Kali Linux Live which has many benefits. You can carry Kali Linux anywhere you want and can run anytime connecting with any device. This makes Kali Linux portable and easy to use. It can also be installed to the hard drive in different ways as a single or dual boot.
Kali Linux Installation using VirtualBox
Kali Linux can be installed as a secondary operating system within your current running Windows or Mac operating system. There’s different tools that let you run a secondary OS within the host mahcine like: VirtualBox and VMware. It’s one of the best and easiest way to use Kali Linux without removing your current operating system.
You can check out this detailed tutorial on Kali Linux VirtualBox Installation.
Most of the Linux based OS runs as root user, and Kali Linux is one of those. Whenever you start Kali Linux, just use ‘root‘ as default root username and ‘toor‘ for the default password for root user.
Kali Linux Requirements
It doesn’t demand any special requirements. It requires the following specs to run:
- 3.8 GB Minimum of Hard Drive Space
- 512 MB of RAM Memory
- Kali Linux Bootable DVD or USB
Download Kali Linux: https://kali.org/downloads
That’s all about the best operating system for hackers. If you want to start your penetration testing career, you can just put hands on Kali Linux to be a pro.